Ask James: Body Weight Training, Periodization, Measuring Progress, Deficit Size, Isolation Exercises, CT for Body Comp, Post Workout Cardio, Rest Intervals, and Krieger’s Origins (Whew!)
There are a lot of great questions featured in this edition of Ask James.
- Is it better to do body weight exercises to failure?
- Do complex periodization schemes simply mask slow progress?
- When should a novice start using periodization?
- In addition to strength increases, tape measure, and body weight/composition, what else can you use to assess progress?
- Is there a way for someone to know how hard to push a deficit but not so hard as to lose muscle?
- When should a novice use isolation exercises, such as for rear delts?
- How accurate is CT scanning for body composition?
- Does moderate cardio after training hurt hypertrophy? Should it be done on leg or upper body days?
- Should you do isolation exercises with long or short rest periods?
- Is James of German descent?