Why Online Coaching?
Have you been frustrated in your endeavors to reach your physique goals?
Have you been working hard to gain muscle or lose fat, but feel like you've been spinning your wheels?
Are you tired of constantly guessing what you should do next to achieve the body you want?
Have you gained a lot of weight, and are looking for guidance?
Maybe you've been making progress, but want to optimize things further?
Perhaps you're just looking for accountability?
If any of these things are true, then hiring an online coach can work wonders for helping you get to where you want to be. Once you've decided to hire an online coach, the next question is...
Why Work With Me?
My education. I have a Master's Degree in Exercise Science, and another Master's Degree in Nutrition.
My scientific expertise. I am an author or co-author on over 15 scientific publications related to building muscle and losing fat. I have collaborated with notable figures in the industry, such as Brad Schoenfeld, Alan Aragon, and Bret Contreras. I have lectured all over the world on topics related to changing your body.
Respect in the industry. I am well-respected among my peers, and am considered one of the top minds in the field. That's not me saying that; it's demonstrated through the comments of many individuals in the industry, and through my close work with some of the best of the best in fitness.
My ability to bridge science to real life application. I'm not a guy in a white coat without real world experience. I helped a corporate weight management program achieve average weight losses of 40 lbs in three months. I have helped executives from large U.S. companies, such as Microsoft and Costco, lose large amounts of weight. I personally lost 40 lbs and got to single digit body fat percentages to compete and place second in a men's physique show. I practice what I preach. Which leads me to my next point...
I've Been There
Would you hire a dentist with bad teeth? Would you hire a mechanic who can't fix his own car? What makes me unique is not only my scientific expertise on body transformation, but the fact that I've been there and done it myself. Back in 2014, I looked at myself and saw that I had fallen into the worst shape of my life. My waist size had ballooned to 36 inches. Years of always trying to bulk up, but never get lean, had caught up with me. It was time to change, and so I took my knowledge of the science of exercise and nutrition, and applied it to myself.
I went from this...
to this ....
I lost 40 lbs and 7 inches off my waist. I placed second in my class in my first ever men's physique competition.
I did it while being a dad to two baby girls...a 1 and 3 year old (any dads will know the challenges these ages present).
I did it without giving up my favorite foods.
I did it while still eating out at restaurants (occasionally).
I did it only training 3 days per week for most of my journey.
I did it despite setbacks like repeated illness and injury.
I did it with almost no cardio whatsoever.
So, if you're busy trying to balance time between family, work, or other obligations, I've been there. If you have a tight work schedule with limited time to train, I've been there. If you find yourself always on the go, without a lot of time to cook meals, I've been there. We all have lives outside of fitness. I can show you how to reach your goals, while still keeping balance with the other areas of your life. Now, that doesn't mean you can't be serious and dedicated to achieving your goals. I can't help you if you are not committed. But you can be committed and still be balanced.
And it's not just "getting ripped" that I have experience with. If you just want to lose body fat to improve your health and feel better, I can help with that too. Here's my former Microsoft client Robert's four month transformation.
Thus, I can support a variety of transformation goals. Which brings me to my next point...
Who I Work With
If you are over 20, and you fit one or more of these criteria:
- You are looking to lose body fat or "get shredded"
- You are interested in building muscle (hypertrophy programming)
- You are overweight or obese, looking to lose fat and improve your health
- You are a man interested in competing in physique shows
- You are busy with limited time to train, and are looking for a time efficient program
If any of these sound like you, then I'm your man. A few other notes on who I work with:
- Experience with weight training
- Willing to count calories and macronutrients
- Non-vegan (lacto-ovo vegetarians are fine)
- No major injuries or medical conditions where training is contraindicated
- Adequate sleep/no chronic stress
For more details on who I work with, click here.
The Coaching Process
Evaluation and Planning. I will look at your past training and diet history, your goals, your preferences, your schedule, and your limitations, and develop a training and nutrition plan that will best suit your needs. We will go over how we will track your progress, and strategies to help stick with the plan. Adherence and consistency are by far the best predictors of success for any sort of training and nutrition program, so it will be important that we structure your program in a way that will maximize these two variables.
Ongoing Coaching and Support. Success isn't just about having a plan, but also following through with the plan, assessing progress, and making adjustments when needed. This is where ongoing coaching and support comes in. Every 2 weeks we will assess your progress, and make any necessary changes to your training or nutrition plans. Why every 2 weeks? Weekly assessments are too frequent; it's not enough time to get a feel of how things are working (you have to give something a chance). Anything longer than 2 weeks, and you can miss an opportunity to make a necessary change if something is clearly not working. Now, that's not to say I'm not available to help support you more frequently; you can email me brief questions/concerns from Mon-Thurs (give me 48 hours to respond), but full-scale detailed assessments and adjustments will be every 2 weeks.
Sounds Good So Far, But I've Got Questions
- What else do I get with coaching? As long as you are a client, you get access to the Member's Area of Weightology at no additional cost, where you can see research reviews, video presentations, feature articles, and other educational content that may help you on your journey. In fact, you get to read a multi-part series where I describe my own fat loss journey.
- What is flexible dieting? Flexible dieting means no foods are off limits, and you can enjoy your favorite foods, eating at parties/grandma's house, or the occasional trip to a restaurant if you can fit it into your overall calorie/macro plan (If It Fits Your Macros or IIFYM). There are no "good" or "bad" foods, or "allowed" or "disallowed" foods on a flexible dieting approach. Click here to learn more about flexible dieting.
- How do check-ins work? Every two weeks, you will send me tracking spreadsheets via email. These spreadsheets are used to track training data, diet data, measurements, and weight. You will also tell me how things are going and if you've run into any obstacles or have any concerns.
- Is there a minimum time commitment? I require a minimum 3-month commitment. Three months is a reasonable amount of time to allow a program to work, but also give enough time to make adjustments when necessary. After that, a client can continue month to month for as long as he wishes. My goal is for you to be able to do everything without my help, but I also understand that some people like the added accountability and advice over longer periods of time.
- When can I expect to see results? How soon you see results will depend upon your goals. If you are looking to build muscle, this is a slow process, and visible results will not be apparent right away. Initially, your progress will be gauged by your gym performance (bigger muscles generally translate to better gym performance). If you are looking to lose fat, then this can happen more quickly and you will start to see tangible and visible results sooner. Still, sustainable fat loss is done at a slow and steady pace. We will determine the best rate of fat loss for you based on your initial starting point and your goals.
- Why just email support and not Instant Message or Skype? I want to make sure that I carefully consider my clients' questions, and answer them with as much detail and thought as possible. Like a true scientist, I want to be thorough. Email allows me to do this, while IM and Skype do not.
- What is your pricing? I discuss pricing after someone has applied, and we have determined that we are a good fit for each other. Pricing is the same for everyone. I don't advertise my pricing because I want to make sure that I get clients that are truly interested in working with me specifically.
- How is payment handled? Initial and recurring payments are handled through Paypal.
- Do you guarantee results? I will do everything I can to help you get the best results possible, but I can never guarantee results. Your results are as much due to your own hard work and commitment as it is to my guidance.
- Do you give refunds? I don't do refunds because the very possibility of a refund can affect someone's level of commitment and ultimate success. I also want to prevent the rare dishonest individual from taking advantage of my services through receiving a detailed training/nutrition plan, only to turn around and extort a refund with the threat of negative feedback on the web.
I'm Interested! What Do I Do Next?
If you are interested in possibly working with me, then please fill out the form below, and I will get in touch with you. We can then determine whether we are a good fit for each other, and go from there.