Ask James: Muscle Protein Synthesis, RMR & Age, Protein Digestion, Alcohol, Energy Deficit/Surplus Size, and More
Here's the questions answered in this edition of Ask James:
- Does protein timing matter for trained subjects over untrained subjects due to differences in the muscle protein synthesis response?
- How do I factor in age and muscle into the RMR estimate for the USDA Body Weight Planner?
- Do different types of protein matter for building muscle if you eat protein frequently?
- Do you gain more fat from a caloric surplus if you are consuming alcohol?
- Do you count incomplete proteins in your daily protein requirements?
- Can a very small energy deficit be effective for minimizing hunger and muscle loss?
- Do you have to be glycogen depleted to maximize fat loss?
- Do you gain the same amount of fat from a very large overnight surplus as compared to a small surplus drawn out over a month?
- How do nuclei from satellite cells contribute to muscle growth?
- Do you need to train close to failure to maximize muscle protein synthesis?